Leaving the EU and what it means for your parcel delivery

What is changing?

If your business moves goods between Great Britain and Europe, you can learn more about the new trading rules from HM Government’s Trader Checklist.
Brexit will change the process of sending parcels between the UK and EU from January 1st 2021
UK senders should note differences in the following areas:

More information on each of these can be found in the FAQ section below.

* Please note that all information on this page is subject to change. Relevant updates will be given as and when they are released by the government


  • If you are sending goods to the EU, you will be required to complete a ‘Customs Details’ form before finalising your booking. The information provided in the form will be used to generate your Commercial Invoice.
  • Once booked, you will need to attach your Commercial invoice to your order. This will be provided by Evri, along with your labels.
  • You will now also have to include HS Code information. To help users, suggested HS codes will appear on-screen automatically. These suggestions will be based on the description of the goods you entered.
  • Alternatively, you can manually search for the correct HS code within the booking process

  • Prior to January 1st 2021, Customers sending parcels to EU from the UK would need to pay 20% VAT on all transactions.
  • From January 1st 2021, Customers will no longer be required to pay VAT on their transactions for parcels going to the EU.
  • The new rules also apply from parcels being shipped from the EU to the UK.

  • Tariff codes, such as the Harmonised System (HS), are used in international trade to identify goods.
  • From December 22nd, HS codes will be required for all parcels being shipped to the EU from the UK.
  • This change will require customers to complete an additional, straightforward step in the order process.

  • Yes. Goods now passing from the UK to the EU (and vice versa) will be treated as imports and exports.
  • As such, specific documentation will need to be provided alongside goods to clear custom borders.
  • These documents will be provided by Evri

  • Yes. Goods entering the UK will be charged Import VAT and Import Duty.
  • Goods leaving the UK for the EU will be charged Import Duty & Import VAT at EU-set rates.
  • The recipient will be liable for these.

  • In the early days, post January 1st 2021, it is highly likely that there will be long delays at all UK ports.

  • From January 1st 2021, customers sending parcels to Northern Ireland from Mainland UK will still be required to pay 20% VAT on all transactions.
  • Goods passing from Mainland UK to Northern Ireland will be treated as exports and will be liable for duties and taxes. The recipient will be liable for paying these.
  • Specific documentation will need to be provided to clear customs borders, which will be provided by Parcel2Go.
  • Tariff Codes such as Harmonised System (HS) or Commodity Codes will be required to help custom officials identify goods when going over the border. Within the Parcel2Go order process you will now need to complete an additional straightforward step.

  • No. Everything will continue as normal, no Brexit changes will take place.

  • An Economic Operators Registration & Identification (EORI) number is required if you move goods between:
    • Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) or the Isle of Man and any other country (including the EU)
    • Great Britain & Northern Ireland
    • Great Britain & the Channel Islands
    • Northern Ireland & countries outside the EU
  • You’ll require an EORI number if you:
    • Make customs declarations
    • Appoint someone to make customs declarations on your behalf
    • Use customs systems such as CHIEF or ICS NI
    • Apply for a customs decision

  • This depends on where you’re moving goods to and from:
    • If you’re based in the UK, your EORI number must start with ‘GB’
    • If you already have an EORI number that doesn’t start with ‘GB’, you need to apply for a ‘GB’ EORI number here.
  • You may need an additional EORI number starting with ‘XI’ if you’re moving goods to and from Northern Ireland.
  • If your business will be making certain declarations or getting a customs decision in the EU, you may also need an EORI number from that EU country.
  • You do not need an EU EORI number if you already have an ‘XI’ (Northern Ireland) EORI number